Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Ebenezer Scrooge

We were in the car the other day singing the heat miser/cold miser song. My son asked what a miser is, so I explained that it was someone who is stingy and unhappy. "Like Scrooge", I said. "Ebenezer Scrooge from A Christmas Carol". At this point my daughter piped up with "Dad watches that all the time!".

"He does?", I responded (thinking: 1. That doesn't sound like her father, and 2. Just how many times is it on tv?). "Yeah", she said. "He LOVES the three scrooges!"

Do you know just how mad a 12 year old gets when you laugh at something she says? So I explained the difference between a scrooge and a stooge and assured her it was ok to be funny, even if it is unintentional.

But I still giggle when I think about it.

"Bah!" said Scrooge. "Humbug!" ~ Charles Dickens

No comments: