Friday, July 21, 2006

What you "should" do...

Man, I hate that phrase. I completely dislike it when someone takes it completely upon themselves to tell me what I should do. If I ask for your opinion...then great, lay it on me. Or if I'm complaining about a situation and you're tired of hearing it, then tell me what I should do and then tell me to shut up. (Whether I take the advice is a completely different matter, but if I am complaining about something, I guess y'all have the right to say "then do something about it!" But I digress...)

I took my car to the garage yesterday. Not quite yet 8k miles but there's a shake in the steering column when I step on the brakes. Rotors, right? Well...at 9:20 (after the car has been taken for a test drive), the mechanic tells me that he might feel a little shake...but not really. I insist that there is one so he goes back into the garage, leaving me in the little waiting room off to the side (not bad digs...leather couches and all...). I had a book, I was happy to sit and read. The Postman called at about 10:40.

Him: "Where are you?"
Me: "At the garage."
Him: "Still? What did they say?"
Me: "That they couldn't really feel the shake but they are still looking at it and working on it."
Him: "What are they doing to it?"
Me: "I don't know. He hasn't come back out since our initial conversation."
Him: "Well, what you SHOULD do is go ask them what they are doing and why it is taking so long."
Me: "No, what I SHOULD do is sit here and wait and not be a pain in the ass to the person who is caring for my car. If you want to ask questions like that, you bring the car in next time. That's not my style."

Needless to say, that was pretty much the end of our conversation. Don't get me wrong...I am not at all passive and I will speak up if the situation warrants. However, being that I know very little about cars, I need a mechanic that won't take advantage of the situation. Since that was my very first visit to that particular garage, I don't think being rude and irritating was really the best route to take.

So this morning:

Him: "What you SHOULD do is take the car out on the highway today to see how it runs."

I'll let you know when that happens!

No comments: