Tuesday, February 06, 2007

20 years

I recently received information regarding my twenty year high school reunion.

I'm not sure if I will go or not. Although I stay in touch with a few friends from my childhood and youth, I'm not sure I want to revisit that period in my life - albeit 20 years later. Teenage angst can be brutal, particularly if there are other issues in play. I was insecure, foolish, hyper, and loud. I begged for attention and usually got it in all the wrong places. Wisdom has come with age, and my fair share of therapy. I would love the chance to see some of my "friends" from that time - see how they have changed and show them how I have. Yet I don't trust that any of them have changed enough to see the change in me. Therein lies the rub.

It also somewhat irritates me that I even care what they think of me all these years later. I think that implies that I am not over the insecurities that I have tried so hard to overcome. When the Postman saw the envelope in the mail, he said "We're busy that day!" without even knowing the date.

Perhaps he's right.

There's a big world out there. Bigger than prom, bigger than high school, and it won't matter if you were the prom queen or quarterback of the football team, or the biggest nerd. Find out who you are and try not to be afraid of it. ~ Anonymous

1 comment:

Gregg said...

I recently saw photos of my 40th reunion. I stared at them wondering who are these geezers? What a feeling!