Saturday, February 03, 2007

What's Agway?

We got about 5 inches of snowfall last night...but that didn't deter us from being at the (outdoor) rink at 9:00am for hockey. The fact that it snowed means the air was probably warmer than it was on Wednesday night, but there was quite a wind this morning. AND, I got stuck in the unplowed parking lot at the rink. Yay me.

Since hockey runs for an hour and a half on Saturday, I told my son I would be leaving for a few minutes to do an errand. I asked my daughter if she wanted to go with me to Agway. "What's Agway?" she asked. "The feed store." (among other things), I responded. She agreed to go and off we went.

As we drove, however, I thought about her question. A year ago we lived in a relatively urban area. About an hour from Boston, and 45 minutes from Portland. Almost anything we needed was just a few minutes drive into New Hampshire. Barnes and Noble was a mere 8 minutes from our house. Now the closest B and N is about 1/2 hour away. We now do alot of browsing and buying online. Even so, with everything available to us before, there is so much we aren't familiar with.

Today I learned more about hockey. I learned why the blades need sharpening, I learned about sock garters, and I learned that I don't get his skates tied tight enough. Hmmmm...the first two I can work with and I know what to do and what we need. The last one? All I can say is the Postman might need to be in charge of tying skates from now on!

Education is the movement from darkness to light. ~ Allan Bloom

No comments: