Tuesday, January 30, 2007

-8.6 F

That was the temperature this fine morning when the Captain and the Diva went out for the bus. Welcome to January in Maine. No one should really complain about the cold - thus far it has been a fairly mild winter. So mild, in fact, that the first night of rec hockey was last night. The outdoor rink was not able to freeze properly until now due to the mild weather.

I am so not cut out to be a hockey mom. With my luck, this is the sport that will become the Captain's passion and we will be out there every day, every winter, from now until he goes to college. Even the high school varsity team uses that rink to practice on, so there is no reprieve in sight. The Captain seemed to love it and enjoy himself...so it may be in my best interest to stock up on thermal underwear and wool socks. I also have a lot to learn as I have never been a great follower of ice hockey. Luckily for me, I got my hands on the "Parent's Introduction to Youth Hockey" pamphlet from a rack in the dressing room.

The captain did very well - surprisingly well - during this first attempt at hockey. Although he was on his butt alot, he was also on his feet alot and was even able to handle the puck when it came his way.

Tomorrow night the Diva will go to her first figure skating lesson. I hope her results are as good as the Captain's. She gets very, very annoyed when her little brother does something better or quicker than she does. I didn't realize just how annoyed until very recently when she had to come up with a list of writing prompts. The subject was something along the lines of "Ten worst moments in your life". Number one on her list was "My brother learned how to ride a two wheel bike before I did."

Two days left in the month. I should be working, not blogging. Unfortunately, all the turmoil in the office lately has taken it's toll mentally and I just can't muster up the motivation I need to stay focused. That's from someone who works from home - I can't even imagine what life in the office must be like right now.

Hockey is a tough game. ~ Bobby Orr

No comments: